- This event has passed.
Tools for Efficiency Workshop: Value Stream Mapping
May 17 @ 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Value Stream Mapping (VSM) is a tool that enables a company to identify waste in manufacturing and administrative processes using objective data. VSM often results in reduced costs, improved communication and increased quality.
This workshop shows how to gather the information required to eliminate or reduce non-value added activities and how to use the information to implement Lean projects. Participants will learn the steps necessary for creating a current-state value stream map from customer order back to raw material, and develop a future state vision to act as a blueprint for Lean activities.
Participants will create their own current and future state maps based upon data gathered at ACME Stamping, our case study company. Using Value Stream Mapping as a tool, a cross-functional team of employees will map the current state from customer back to raw material including all steps, both value-added and non-value-added, and both manufacturing and administrative to develop a future state vision to act as a blueprint for Lean activities. The Future State often represents a breakthrough change compared to the way the company currently operates. The VSM team will develop an implementation strategy to make the Future State a reality. The most urgent needs will be addressed first, and can typically be accomplished in a very short time frame with the appropriate resources applied.
Benefits of Value Stream Mapping
- “See the flow” of your value stream and wastes in the flow
- View all steps in in the value stream, both value added and non-value added from a systems perspective
- Determine which steps are value added and non-value added from internal and external customer points of view
- Map the business processes that information flows through in the value stream
- Create a blueprint for Lean transformation – the Future State Map
- Develop an action-item list, prioritizing activities needed to achieve the future state
Cost: $120 for VIA Members; $145 for Non-Members
Sponsor: Valley Industrial Association, IMEC
Presenter: Greg Thompson, IMEC Technical Specialists
Contact Name: Kathy Gilmore, VIA President
Contact Phone:(630) 892-4228
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org