- This event has passed.
IMA Environmental Compliance Conference
November 20, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to hear from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency and environmental legal professionals regarding Land, Water, and Air Environmental Issues.
New Regulations Affecting Manufacturing – What’s Coming?
Cathy Stepp, Regional Administrator, US EPA Region 5
- Cathy’s responsibilities include overseeing environmental protection efforts in the Great Lakes states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin, in addition to managing the EPA Great Lakes National Program
John J. Kim, Director, Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
Hear from each Bureau: Learn about current state of each Bureau, the latest about when you need a permitting and when companies can take advantage of expedited permitting and common issues each Bureau sees when working with manufacturers with tips for proactively handling those issues! Don’t forget to submit your questions when registering.
- IEPA Bureau of Air: Discussion will include what companies should be considering in regards to air quality and planning, and issues on the horizon, such as the ozone bump-up/ possible re-designation and other pollutants.
- Ross Cooper, Engineer III
- David Bloomberg, Compliance & Enforcement Section
- IEPA Bureau of Water: Discussion will include what companies should know about future plans such as nutrients.
- Darin LeCrone, Industrial Unit Manager, Permit Section
- Roger Callaway, Section Manager, Compliance Assurance Section
- IEPA Bureau of Land: Discussion will include what companies should know about future plans such as hazardous waste generators.
- John Richardson, Regional Manager– FOS Inspection Manager
How to Avoid Regulatory Pitfalls
Using Environmental Auditing to Create an Effective Environmental Compliance Program | Lawrence W. Falbe, Principal, Miller Canfiel
- Learn why a robust environmental compliance program is a great business investment and cheap insurance against regulatory issues and potential environmental liabilities.
- Examine the procedure and activities involved with performing an environmental audit, including the use of attorney-client privilege to protect the audit from discovery by regulators.
- Discussion will address achieving and maintaining compliance with applicable environmental rules and regulations, and the pros/cons of self-disclosing environmental violations identified in the audit.
An Environmental Enforcement Overview | Jennifer Martin, Partner, HeplerBroom LLC & Alec Messina, Partner, HeplerBroom LLC
Including possible enforcement trends, and steps to minimize enforcement risk
- Understand the legal underpinnings for bringing an environmental enforcement action
- Notice the Illinois EPA must provide to the company and the process the Agency must follow before initiating an enforcement action,
- Recent trends that expand these traditional legal underpinnings
- Steps a company can take to minimize the risk of being the subject of an enforcement action.
PFAS: It’s Use in Manufacturing and Future Liabilities | Michael Hillebrenner, P.E., Principal Engineer, Roux Associates, Inc. & Sarah Bassett, E.I.T., Project Engineer, Roux Associates, Inc.
- Learn how per-and poly-fluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS) have rapidly evolved from little-know “Teflon chemicals” to a pervasive contaminate across the country.
- Understand how the unique chemical characteristics of PFAS results in more difficult and more expensive environmental cleanups.
- Discussion regarding environmental / product liability and how chemical fingerprinting and forensics can assist in allocating responsibility.
Panel: What to Do if You Get a Violation
Presented in partnership with:
Cancellations made within 7 days of event may be subject to a 50% cancellation fee.
Cost: $125 for the first registrant; $90 for each additional company registration. Registration includes breakfast and lunch.
Sponsor: Illinois Environmental Protection Agency; South Suburban College; Miller Canfield; HeplerBloom; Roux
Contact Name: Terri Graham, IMA Program Director
Contact Phone: (630) 824-9371
Contact Email: email@example.com