Companies in Illinois and across the country are continuing to face a shortage of workers that are properly educated and trained for the variety of manufacturing employment opportunities. Most manufacturers report a lack of skilled labor as critical challenge today.
Manufacturers use on-the-job training programs to re-focus their workforce on the desired manufacturing talents needed. A recent article in USA Today titled, “Training Cutbacks Thwart Jobless” discussed the fact that companies are cutting outside training programs for lack of funds, ultimately making the skills gap even worse. However, it is important to note that affordable training programs are still available.
IMEC’s Training Within Industry (TWI) program is a standard way to address the essential skills needed by supervisors, team leaders, and anyone leading others. The program creates an environment in which jobs are performed the same way, by all team members, and where problem solving is done at the operator level. IMEC’s manufacturing specialists can help your company get back on the path to skilled workers and improved job performance through the three proven, systematic training modules:
- Job Instruction – teaches how to develop training through Job Breakdowns to quickly train employees to do a job correctly, safely, and conscientiously resulting in less scrap and rework, fewer accidents and less tool and equipment damage
- Job Relations – teaches supervisors how to develop and maintain positive employee relations to prevent problems from happening and how to effectively resolve conflicts that arise
- Job Methods – teaches employees how to continuously improve the way jobs are done making the best use of the people, machines and materials available
For more information about TWI, contact your local IMEC representative or call 888-806-4632. We are here to help!
How and where workers acquired new skills in the past five years:
- 63% On-the-job experience
- 21% Formal company training
- 19% Formal training outside workplace
- 15% Informal means outside workplace
- 12% Shadowing and observing others
- 7% Haven’t acquired any
- 6% Informal company learning programs
*Source: November 2011 Accenture online survey of 1,088 workers